Saturday, October 8, 2011

Poem Excerpt


The following is an excerpt from Sanchez's poem "A Blues Book for Blue Black Magical Women", part three.
                                           
                                 there is no place
for a soft/black/woman.
there is no smile green enough or
summertime words warm enough to allow my growth.
and in my head
i see my history
standing like a shy child
and i chant lullabies
as i ride my past on horseback
tasting the thirst of yesterday tribes
hearing the ancient/black/woman
me, singing                     hay-hay-hay-hay-ya-ya-ya
                                      hay-hay-hay-hay-ya-ya-ya
like a slow scent
beneath the sun
                         and i dance my
creation and my grandmothers gathering
from my bones like great wooden birds
spread their wings
while their long/legged laughter
stretches the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment